2021 Spring Petunias and Violas
Written by Ann Meisoll, Mikaela Rice, & Hannah Irelan
As the last frost of the year rounds the corner, we know that many of us are itching to get our hands in the dirt. Thankfully, Strange’s has a wide variety of pansies and violas to get you started on your springtime garden! These plants are hardy cool-weather bloomers and are perfect for adding color in the chilly spring months. We’ve collected some tips and tricks for maximizing your blooming time. We’ve also featured some of the plants you can find when you come into Strange’s so you can start planning before you even come inside!
Pansies vs. Violas: What’s the difference?
To start, all pansies are violas but not all violas are pansies – both of these famed cool-weather flowers belong to the genus Viola. Pansies tend to have larger blooms, usually 2-3 inches in diameter, in solid colors or with a face in the middle of the bloom. Viola flowers are much smaller, usually around the size of a nickel. However, they make up for their smaller faces with more prolific blooms and the fact they are incredibly weather tolerant.
Tips & Tricks for Beautiful Blooms:
- Plant them in a sunny area.
- Be sure to water them during sunny dry weather, even if it is cold outside.
- Feed them once a month! We recommend using Fertilome Bedding Plant Food.
- Be sure to add a 1″ layer of mulch after you’re finished planting. This will help retain moisture and warmth in the soil, and prevent them from being heaved up out of the soil during a warm spell.
- If they look wilted and sad after a really cold spell, they will usually perk up once it warms up a bit.
- The biggest pest challenge to pansies is the pansy worm. We recommend fighting this insect with Sevin or Thuricide.
- Consider creating a mixed container with violas, evergreen ferns, and anything else that catches your eye. Give yourself a spot of color all winter long!
Strange’s Spring 2021 Deals:
We kept it simple for you, three sizes at three different prices! We hope that whatever garden dreams you have, you can find exactly what you need to make it a reality at Strange’s.